Free shipping on all orders over $100
Can't decide? Shop gift cards

Stress Management

Stress Management

 

Stress is a normal physiological response that occurs when you are in a situation that makes you feel overwhelmed or threatened. Stress is becoming a daily reoccurrence from modern day pressures such as deadlines and hassles and can affect men’s health and overall wellbeing. Only 30% of men report to be successful in their ability to manage stress, this leaves 70% of men who are struggling to manage stress and need some useful strategies to combat this.

 

 

Symptoms
Symptoms of stress can include:

  • Anxiety,
  • Depression,
  • Feeling overwhelmed,
  • Feeling fatigued,
  • Insomnia,
  • Feeling isolated,
  • Irritability,
  • An inability to concentrate.

 

 

Causes
Causes of stress include any type of situation which places a high demand on you and these can be different for each individual and what they perceive as being stressful.

 

 

Managing stress
Learning to manage stress is important to prevent chronic health conditions that can arise from too much stress. The first thing to do is to take the lead by managing your emotions, thoughts and external environment.

 

Stress-management options include:

  • Exercise regularly - Exercise has been shown to reduce stress levels and is a great way to let out any tension that has built up.
  • Eat well - By eating a healthy diet your body will be nourished and provide a better foundation to handle stressors in your life.
  • Avoid stressful and demanding situations - Avoid unnecessary stress by only focusing your energy on the priorities in your life and reducing the stressors in your daily schedule.
  • Sleep well - Ensure you are getting 6-8 hours of sleep to give your body time to recover and allow you to feel rejuvenated to deal with stressors when you awake.
  • Do not overcommit - Give yourself sufficient time to finish off projects in your life and learn to say no rather than making promises you can’t keep.
  • Set aside time for yourself - Make sure you set aside some time for yourself to relax and reflect. Spend this time doing whatever makes you feel relaxed.

 

If you are concerned about your stress levels, it may be a good idea to talk to your local Health Care Professional.

 

 

Disclaimer
The content displayed on this webpage is intended for informational purposes and is a guide only. It does not replace or substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Information contained on this webpage must be discussed with an appropriate healthcare professional before making any decisions or taking any action based on the content of this webpage.

 

Sources

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/stress/2010/gender-stress.aspx

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/stress/2010/gender-stress.aspx

http://www.everydayhealth.com/family-health/mens-health/combat-stress.aspx

 

 

Image used under license of Shutterstock.com